Sunday, May 19, 2013

Transfering Files to the BeagleBone

iTerm2

I recently got using iTerm2 because as I was trying to set up the regular terminal on my mac, there were a few more features I was wanting. A great feature is the ability to save window arrangements.  This allows the user to configure profiles and save them as a "Window". In each window you can start the shell with a command giving you a head start. When I use the Beaglebone I have one shell start with

ssh root@192.168.7.2

which starts the ssh to access my Beaglebone. In the other window I have the command

cd /Documents/Beaglebone

which is where I contain files that I use a favorite IDE on my Mac or Linux to copy over to my Beaglebone. I saved these two shells in my "Beaglebone" window arrangement.  I am not to familiar with Vim or eMacs because I do not program everyday so I have not invested the time to learn. This make it easy to start up the iTerm2 and get right into working on my Beaglebone.

SCP (Secure Copy)

Once I have my terminal all set, I use SCP to copy files from my Mac to the Beaglebone. The command is as follows

scp test.py root@192.168.7.2:~/Python

The first argument is the file you want transferred. Next is the the Beaglebone user and IP address followed by a colon and the path to where you want to transfer the file.

The iTerm allows me to work entirely from the terminal. I have also reconfigured the light weight editor nano to syntax highlight for python files so I can do quick corrections without going to my favorite IDE everytime. I'll place another post how I configured nano for the syntax highlighting.

No comments:

Post a Comment